SAN CARLOS COLLEGE, formerly known as PIEAS (Pangasinan Institute of Education, Arts and Science) was founded in 1946 by late Superintendent Fortunato C. De Veyra, with the assistance of other equally devoted men – Judge Domingo Cabangon, Fiscal Conrado Soriano, Dr. Bernardo Acena, Dr. Victorio Magno, Dr. Antonio Sanchez and Dr. Romualdo A. Concepcion.
The founders’ vision initially, was to provide affordable yet quality education that would far better equip graduates to make a difference as teachers in the field of education, rather than to just provide them with the basics.
When it formally opened its doors in November 1946, the Elementary Teachers Course was its first curricular offering. In the succeeding year, the Secondary Course was offered and subsequently, the Elementary Course. The four-year BSE and subsequent Liberal Arts Courses were opened in response to the perceived demand for high school teachers. In 1959, the College of Commerce and Secretarial Science opened. In August 1964, PIEAS inaugurated the Graduate course in Education.
In the early days, classes were held at the different locations along Mabini St. and Quezon Blvd. Later, the campus in Mabini became the permanent site of the school. A branch of the school was opened in 1948 in Urbiztondo and it offered secondary education to the residents in the area. It was named Urbiztondo Private High School (UPHS).
The SCC Campus facilities expanded over the years through the different Presidents who were elected by the Board of Trustees to manage the institution. The goal was to create the best atmosphere conducive for an effective teaching-learning process. Thus, the institution has well equipped science and speech laboratories among its facilities. It also has a gymnasium as well as sports equipment used to train athletes who represent the school in different athletic competitions in the division, regional and national levels.
Sixty-seven (67) years after it was founded, many San Carlos College graduates find themselves at the helm of educational institutions in Pangasinan as well as in other parts of the country, or occupying responsible positions in government or in the private organizations. Many graduates contribute likewise to the worth of foreign economies where they have migrated (USA, Guam, Canada, London, Germany, and many others).
Today, the campus at Mabini St., San Carlos City, offers the full range of Basic Elementary and High School Education, College Courses in Liberal Arts, Bachelor of Elementary Education and Bachelor of Secondary Education, Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Information System as well as Associate Courses in Secretarial Science and Computer Technology. It also offers TESDA Courses that can eventually be used as credit to pursue a 4-year degree. The Graduate School in Education continues to enlighten many of the educators for career advancement. In addition to the course offerings, the Institution has been known for its Drum and Bugle Corps and Sports program. Today, San Carlos College, together with UPHS, marches forward, instilling the values of Character, Scholarship and Service to the students.
San Carlos College Continues to march forward Soaring High@ 67!
WE EDUCATE… WE INNOVATE… WE SERVE…